The spring season is starting to build and this week’s finalists for the Caller-Times High School Athlete of the Week include three different sports.
The Caller-Times is taking weekly nominations and will release a list of finalists for the High School Athlete of the Week each Tuesday.
Students in all varsity sports are eligible to be nominated. The poll will close on Thursday and the winners will be announced Friday each week.
Bishop’s Donny Thomas had a 29-point effort to help the Badgers upend London in a key district basketball match. Rockport-Fulton’s Jordan Malone poured in nine 3-pointers as part of her 29 points against Sinton.
Ashton Neal scored four goals for the Alice boys soccer team in a match against Carroll.
Nominations are due by 5 p.m. Monday and can be submitted through email at [email protected], by messaging the Caller-Times through its Facebook page, or on Twitter @CallerSports.
Take a moment to look at some of the top performances in the last week and vote on caller.com or below.
More: Taft’s Janelle Lopez voted Caller-Times High School Athlete of the Week
More: Beeville’s Cylee Lopez voted Caller-Times High School Athlete of the Week
THIS WEEK’S NOMINEES
• Jaksen Bloom, Ray boys wrestling — Bloom won seven straight matches at the Cy Fair Tournament to finish in eighth place after dropping his first match.
• Rebecca Brown, West Oso girls basketball — Brown scored 14 points and added 13 rebounds in the Bears’ win against Ingleside.
• Danilee Cedillo, Tuloso-Midway girls basketball — Cedillo scored 21 points against Zapata and 20 points against Robstown, combining for nine 3-pointers in the two games.
• Aidan Guerra, Veterans Memorial boys basketball — Guerra scored 28 points, including four 3-pointers in the Eagles win against King.
• Jordan Malone, Rockport-Fulton girls basketball — Malone scored 29 points, including nine 3-pointers, in Rockport-Fulton’s win against Sinton.
• Aliya Montemayor, Mathis girls basketball — Montemayor netted 20 points, six rebounds and five steals in a district win against Odem.
• Ashton Neal, Alice boys soccer — Neal scored four goals for the Coyotes in a non-district match against Carroll.
• Donny Thomas, Bishop boys basketball — Thomas poured in 29 points in the Badgers upset of London
Quinton Martinez covers all things sports in South Texas. Support local coverage like this by checking out our subscription options and special offers at Caller.com/subscribe
This article originally appeared on Corpus Christi Caller Times: Vote now for the Caller-Times High School Athlete of the Week